- 1 loaf day-old good-quality rustic bread
- 1 pint red cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 pint yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 to 3 medium Green Zebra, Cherokee Purple or other Heirloom varieties, cut into chunks
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ red onion, cut into thin half-moons
- 2 tablespoons small capers, drained
- 1 celery heart, finely sliced (leaves reserved)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 to 8 anchovy fillets, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh basil, leaves picked
- Cut the bread into thick slices and then tear the bread into big pieces (about 1″) and let it sit out in the air for an hour or more to dry it out.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and let sit for a few minutes to macerate. Add the red onion, capers, celery, and bread and toss well to combine.
- In a small bowl or jar, combine the olive oil, vinegar, and anchovies. Grate the garlic into the mix. Whisk or shake well. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss, adjust the seasoning as needed, and add the basil leaves and celery leaves. Let the salad sit for 15 minutes or longer before serving.
We suggest pairing our Heirloom Tomato Panzanella with our Josh Cellars Prosecco. Our Prosecco celebrates Italy’s beauty with refreshing effervescence and flavors of green apple, pear and citrus with a touch of sweetness. If you want alternatives to Prosecco, try some of our other wines that pair well with this dish:
Looking for other recipe ideas to pair with our Prosecco? We love to enjoy it with prosciutto and melon, eggs benedict, Thai noodles, or peach galette.More Details